The International Film Festival Rotterdam (IFFR) starts today and runs until 5 February. Every year, it is one of the most important film festivals in the Netherlands. Check out the selection on Moonday!
This year, the International Film Festival Rotterdam returns with a physical ("in person") edition. IFFR has no less than 16 productions selected for the Big Screen Competition, 16 productions selected for the Tiger Competition, 27 productions selected for Bright Future, 31 productions selected for the Limelight category and 76 for the Harbour category. On the IFFR Pro side, you can discover the Pro Hub, the CineMart and the Reality Check.
The Pro Hub is the place to be for professionals, and the filmmakers selected for this 2023 edition will have the opportunity to meet the festival team and mentors before the festival. Pro Dialogue sessions will be organised with special guests holding different positions within the film community, these sessions will focus on various topics: film festival navigation, alternative distribution, queer cinema...
Finally, the IFFR Pro general discussion will take place on Monday 30 January. The future of film festivals will be discussed, as well as creative control in co-productions, in collaboration with ACE Producers.
The CineMart co-production market has been running for 40 years. A great support for new and established filmmakers from all over the world, this year it will present twenty fiction projects and five immersive works representing very different styles and genres.
The Darkroom Pro IFFR is the new feature of this 2023 edition, where six projects previously supported by CineMart and the Hubert Bals Fund will have the opportunity to present the progress of their project to a panel of professionals on Wednesday 1 February.
CineMart 2023 Selection
Fiction Projects :
- 108 Days by Lucky Kuswandi
- 7 P.M. on a Sunday by Sevgi Eker
- Apetown by Kurt Orderson
- Boifriend by Jack Goessens
- The Burning Giants by Phuttiphong Aroonpheng
- Brace Yourself by Thati Pele
- Cerro Corá by Francisco Márquez
- Consider Vera by Marina Stepanska
- Eldorado by Alaa Eddine Aljem
- Eyes Closed by Jenneke Boeijink
- Grushka by Marta Parlatore
- Las tierras que te buscan by Juanita Onzaga
- Little War by Barbara Sarasola-Day
- The Poison Cat by Tian Guan
- Redoubt by John Skoog
- Remanso by Pablo Lamar
- Słońce by Anna Zamecka
- The Surrogate by Ali Jaberansari
- Testa o Croce? by Alessio Rigo de Righi and Matteo Zoppis
- When the Kids Sing the Hits by Mina Djukic
Immersive works :
- 369 by Ananda Safo
- Ancestors by Hanna Haaslahti
- Anti-Muse by Baloji
- Gay Simulator by Iris van der Meule
- The Mask Maker and the Tree by Abner Preis
Reality Check is the platform set up by IFFR to discuss current issues related to the film industry. This year's issue is the future of film festivals. On Sunday 29 January, festival and film market professionals will meet to find ways to improve collaboration between the various players in the sector.